Monday, February 8, 2016

It's all about awareness

Well it's done. The opening of Silent Voices happened and I survived it. Of course I was a nervous wreck for a little while but still I was pleased with how everything turned out.




This was the gallery space before the reception. I was thrilled with how well everything came together. The paintings fit the space beautifully and hanging didn't take very long at all. The poetry worked along side the artwork.

There was a lot going on in Macon Friday night so the turn out for the reception was not what I had hoped it would be. The people who did come were genuinely interested in the story behind the work, they took the time to read about each piece and asked me questions about the adoption industry. Several people were shocked by what they learned.

I spent quite a bit of time with one couple who were curious about the topic because friends of theirs were considering adopting. They had gone to agency websites and were appalled at the prices they saw there. They wanted to know what was behind it so they got an earful and a new understanding of the industry.

There were two points I wanted to get across with the exhibit. 1. Explain what the BSE was and how pregnant women were treated. 2. How and why the industry has morphed into what it is today. Maybe I only got to speak to a handful of people but if those few learned something about the other side of adoption then it was a success and well worth doing the show. It's all about awareness.

These 2 pieces were the last ones I painted. I couldn't get a good picture because of where they were hanging- there was a post in the way. These are called Adoption Situation, referring to the listings on adoption agency websites where babies are listed along with a price.



Scared and alone she reached out.
Come with us they said.
I’m in a situation.
We’ll take good care of you they said.
I can’t afford a baby.
We know people who can they said.
I don’t know what to do.
We’ll help you make a “plan” they said.
My family doesn’t understand.
We do. We can take care of that situation they said.
I don’t know if I can do this.
You’ll be brave and selfless they said.
This looks like a nice couple.
The couple in the brochure is better than you they said.
I’ll miss my baby.
You love him so much you’ll let someone else raise him they said.
I want time with my baby first.
But they need to bond with him they said.
I can’t do this. I want my baby back.
Too late, the check has been cashed they said.



1 comment:

  1. Congratulations. Every time we can get our voices heard, even if it's not as much as we'd like, it helps. Most people are so steeped in adoption industry bullsh*t that they no idea they aren't hearing the truth about how adoption really affects natural mothers, adoptees, and extended family.

    ReplyDelete